Unity Academy Invisions Opening Grade Nine Coming Academic Year • Unity Academy Students Mark Children’s Day
What is worrying me most at this point in time is where our children, who complete Grade Eight this academic year, would go to attend Grade Nine the coming year. This statement was made by Dr. Arega Yirdaw, President of Unity University and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of MIDROC Technology Group Companies, at the discussion held with parents on March 11, 2017, on the occasion of Children’s Day, marked by Unity Academy Gerji Branch for the fourth time.
In response to issues raised by the capacity audience of parents, who were in attendance on the occasion of Children’s Day marked by the Academy children, in the Conference Hall of the University, Dr. Arega addressed the issues raised and capitalised on what he thought was the burning issue for the Academy. He emphatically noted that his main concern was not about some issues raised in the cource of the discussion.
He expressed his major concern about the future of students who will complete Grade Eight by the end of the current academic year. In this connection, Dr. Arega pointed out that there is plan to open at least Grades Nine and Ten for the coming academic year, so that the students could stay together and with the Academy. He further noted that efforts are underway to get the go ahead from appropriate government authorities and subsequently pursue the idea into practice.
As part of the programme for the Day, parents were requested to elect representatives who would serve in the Parent-Teachers Association (PTA), to fill the position left open by parents who left the PTA due to various personal reasons. Accordingly, the positions were filled by three volunteers, who were applauded for their initiative. Dr. Arega also appreciated the initiative taken by parents who volunteered to join the PTA. He underlined, “PTA members are delivering free service. They are not paid; and get no benefits except sacrificing their time and energy in assisting the School Administration.”
Speaking earlier, Ato Taddesse Lemma, Chairman of the PTA, underscored the significance of the PTA, which is serving as a link between parents and the Academy. He said, “Parents and the Academy work hand-in-glove. We should not expect the School to do all we need for our children. When it comes to the education of our children, the School covers around 40%. We are supposed to cover the remaining 60%. Accordingly, there should be no time that we would not spare for our children.” He further noted that the PTA would like the Academy to stand out with some special features; “and the organisation and strengthening of School Clubs is one such area. We need committed parents for the purpose”, he underlined.
In her six-month report, Wz. Asselefech G/Kidan, Principal of the Academy, gave a detailed account about the performance of the Academy. She made note of the enrollment of students from Pre-KG to Grade Eight, which totaled 597 (300 male and 297 female). She also noted that the Academy has a total of 41 Teachers and nine Assistants/Guardians. The Principal went on to note the smooth and amicable working relatioship of the Academy with local education authorities and the invaluable support from the PTA.
She underlined that besides the care they give to their individual children, the constructive ideas paretns give to the School Administration and Teachers goes a long way in enhancing the quality of work undertaken by the School. In this connection, the Principal made note of the various areas in which parents, through the active support of the PTA, are involved in the teaching-learning activities of the School. She raised the involvement of parents in actual classroom teaching as a living example. She reiterated that the practice had drawn favourable feedback from both parents and the students. Wz. Asselefech also touched upon the Consultative Workshops organised for parents through support from the PTA.
Wz. Asselefech outlined extra-curricular activities of students through participation in various Clubs established in the School, according to their inclinations. She pointed out that there are around seven Clubs established in the School, which include Language and Mini-Media, Sports, Science and Technology, Civics, and Information Technology Clubs.
Highlights of the programme for the Day involved various activities performed by children from all grades. The various songs, cultural shows, and short plays were all intertaining and educational. The capacity audience parents expressed their joy by applauding the children. Other activities outside the Conference Hall involved children’s intertainment in the playground, visiting the works of children, and football match between students of Grade 5A and 6A, which ended 4 – 2, in favour of the former. The two teams reached the final after winning their way through competitions held since October 2016.